It feels like time is flying forward, and luckily so is our progress toward opening this fall. And we’ve been busy! A few things we’ve been up to:
- This past week we had our first meeting with our Board of Directors, an awesome and talented group of people who are committed to helping make this project a reality. They provided lots of guidance, insights, and helpful suggestions to keep us moving along. We are so lucky to have them.
- We have been meeting staff and faculty at local colleges, all with the goal of creating long-term links to LightHouse. So far we have met with folks at Holyoke Community College, Springfield Technical Community College, Hampshire College, Amherst College, and Mount Holyoke College. We have a meeting coming up with Westfield State College too, and more to schedule in the future. We are looking forward to collaborations that bring college students into LightHouse, as well as creating paths for LightHouse teens to pursue higher education.
- We met with the United Way of Pioneer Valley to talk about ways we can become connected with their work and with the wonderful organizations they partner with. So many people are doing great things in the Holyoke/Springfield area, and we are looking forward to meeting more of them.
- Catherine and I attended the Girls Inc. of Holyoke’s Spirit of Girls breakfast. It was inspiring to hear and see the work that is happening at Girls Inc., and to get to hear it directly from some of the girls themselves was even better. Girls Inc. of Holyoke is an impressive organization, and we will be very happy to be located right around the corner from them.
- Speaking of being located somewhere, we are inching closer to finalizing (and signing) a lease. We hope to announce an official home for LightHouse by June, so stay tuned.
- Recruitment for teens to join LightHouse this fall is gearing up. We are looking to set up at local events to meet teens and families, tell them about LightHouse, and hand out applications soon. We will also be scheduling some events of our own to tell people more about what we’re doing. Let us know if you want us to come to your event!
It’s so exciting to be thinking about teens starting to apply to LightHouse. We have been working on this project for eight months now, and we are eager to meet all the teens and families who will become part of the LightHouse community this fall. Things are starting to happen fast, and we are happy to be that much closer to opening. We love progress!