What is this?
This learning experience is not a “class,” exactly. It is rather an opportunity to develop skills related to participating in and facilitating circle practice at LightHouse. Circle practice is a way for healthy communities to communicate and grow together. Circle practice originally comes from indigenous people of the Americas. Learning about these origins will be a key component of time together. We will engage in 1 to 2 circles every week of Block 3.
What skills and competencies will we practice?
We will touch on many skills included in our Light Cycle competency-based curriculum, with an emphasis on these three:
- Self-Direction: Voice
- Self-Direction: Understanding Myself as a Learner
- Community: Collaboration*
Who is this for?
- Everyone: All students at LightHouse have valuable skills, talents, and experience to contribute to any circle, so this opportunity is for everyone.
- Students who participated in the student leader training facilitated by Pa’lante in February 2023 are strongly encouraged to participate in this Block 3 learning opportunity.
- Students may participate in this Circle Practice learning opportunity on a week-to-week, drop in basis, when they feel that the topics we are addressing are relevant to them.
- Students who participate regularly and who produce artifacts of learning related to their experience in circle practice may earn credit toward their competency-based transcript.
- David will facilitate the weekly circles. Students will learn to lead circles.
- Our hope is that both LightHouse and Pa’lante staff members can visit or join in circles when they are available.